Fossil sand matrix
From This Is How You Play
|Fossil sand matrix|
|Age Range||5-8 (grades 1-2), 8-11 (grades 3-5), 11-14 (grades 6-8)|
|Group Size||medium (6-20)|
|Setup Time||medium (6-30 min)|
|Duration||medium (11-30 min)|
|Materials||sand, cement, round forms, fossils, cooking spray, safety goggles|
|Presentation Style||active, demonstration, interactive, model, student led|
Students will scrape and dig fossils out of a hard rock-like material- just like real paleontologists do!
This Is How You Play
Mixture is best done about 2 days before activity. The longer the matrix sits the harder it will become.
- Mix 8 parts of sand with 1 part cement (portland cement is recommended).
- Add small amounts of water until mixture is dry cornmeal consistency (2 parts water is recommended). A wetter mix will make harder cement.
- Spray the round molds liberally with cooking oil to prevent sticking.
- Layer sand and fossil mixture in forms.
- Lay fossils down in pan, pack sand mixture on top fossils, and then add more fossils pressing into first fossil layer with the last layer a generous amount of sand.
- Allow to cement to set up.
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus